We’ve compiled the best spring cleaning tips to keep your windows sparkling and looking their best.
1. Clean glass with a squeegee – Paper towels can leave traces of fibers and streaks. Using a squeegee eliminates those concerns and also decreases the amount of time spent getting a streak free finish. Use a soft cloth to dry your window if necessary.
2. Use your vacuum attachments – Using the narrowest vacuum attachment to clean your window tracks is the first step to clean window tracks! The vacuum should remove any large debris, dirt, and dust that may have accumulated over the winter.
3. Clean window tracks with a toothbrush – The best way to get in the groves and small corners of your window track is to use a toothbrush or old electric toothbrush and cleaning solution. Just make sure to label the toothbrush so no one tries to use it for teeth later!
4. Use vinegar as a cleaner – using a solution that is 1 part vinegar to 2 or 3 parts water does a great job gently cleaning your dirty windows with supplies that may already be in your home. Bonus: it’s pet and kid safe.
5. Clean screens with a garden hose – Take screens off windows and lay in grass or other non-muddy surface outdoors (make sure you have an organizing system so they go back on their proper windows) Use the strongest wash setting on your garden hose to clean your screens in record time. Use a scrub brush to get any tough, grimy spots. When one side of your screen dry, flip and repeat.
6. Refresh your curtains – Toss your curtains in the dryer on the air-fluff cycle for 10 -15 minutes and hang immediately for a quick refresh that perfectly frames your windows.
7. A throwback tip – give your windows an extra buff shine with a crumpled newspaper. Run the crumpled paper over your window a few times. This tip is an oldie, but a goodie!
Ready for new energy efficient windows?
The Chicago area is getting a taste of enjoyable spring weather and many homeowners in the area are opening their windows up to let in the spring air and sunshine. The spring season is also the time of year when homeowners focus on home cleaning projects and the windows are one aspect of the home that needs to be cleaned after a long winter. Having clean windows will not only improve the look of your home, but also allow in more sunlight. The following are some tips for effective window cleaning that will result in clear windows.
Window cleaning is not a very difficult task as far as home cleaning projects go but it is beneficial to use proper cleaning methods for the best possible results. The first step is to make sure you have the proper supplies. These supplies should include a store-bought window cleaner or homemade cleaning solution consisting of water and vinegar, 3 microfiber towels or cloths, and some newspaper. You should not use paper towels because they leave streaks and fibers on the windows.
Once you have the necessary supplies, it is important to follow these steps for the best results. First, wipe down the window with one of the clean microfiber towels to remove dust and dirt from the glass and frame. Then spray the window liberally with the cleaning solution and use the second microfiber towel to wipe off the cleaner. The third towel should be used to wipe down the window a second time to completely remove the cleaner. You can then finish off the job by wiping the window a final time with crumpled newspaper.
So as you open up your windows this spring and tackle other spring cleaning tasks, make sure to set some time aside to clean each of your windows. This will help improve the look of your home and increase the amount of sunlight entering your home. If you are looking to have some or all of your windows replaced this spring, contact Green T Windows. We carry new vinyl windows in a variety of styles and provide full installation services.