In this post we will go over a few different methods for cleaning your blinds.
How to Clean Aluminum Blinds
There are a few ways your can clean your aluminum blind and it just comes down to personal preference.
- Vacuum the blinds with a soft brush attachments.
- Wipe them down with a soft cloth and a soapy solution.
- Using diluted vinegar is also a great way to clean your blinds.
This method can be time consuming however, especially if you have a lot of blinds.
- Fill your bathtub with water and a bit of dish soap.
- Take your blinds down and let them soak in the tub.
- Gently scrub with a soft brush or sponge.
- Rinse them off and let them dry on a few bath towels.
- Take your blinds outside on the grass on a hot sunny day.
- Use a little soap on them and spray with a garden hose.
- Flip them over and spray again.
- You can scrub them with a soft brush if needed.
- Let them dry and hang them back up.
Related: How to Replace Window Screens
How to Clean Wood Blinds
Most wood blinds have a special finish that help repel dirt and stains. You will need to treat them the same way you would stained furniture.
- Start by vacuuming the blinds with a soft brush attachment.
- Follow up with a soft cloth and furniture polish. Spray the furniture polish on the cloth and wipe each slat individually.
- Avoid using water, solvents, or abrasive solutions that can cause warping and scratching.
How to Clean Faux Wood Blinds
Faux-wood blinds are one of the more popular types of window covering and cleaning them can be a simple process.
- Close the blinds all the and hold the bottom rail.
- Make sure the suction is on its lightest setting to avoid twisting or warping of slats.
- Vacuum one side, turn the blinds the other way and vacuum the other side.
- Handheld dusters are also very effective on this type of blind.
If you have faux-wood blinds in the kitchen they may have a bit of grease or grime that can be a bit more stubborn.
- Begin the same way as before by vacuuming the blinds.
- Wet a duster or soft cloth with either a soapy water mixture or you can use watered down vinegar.
- Dry each slat with a dry soft cloth.
Related: 10 Helpful Fall Cleaning Tasks
How to Clean Vertical Blinds
The process for cleaning vertical blinds is very similar to the previous methods listed above.
- Vacuum and dry dust the blinds.
- A lint roller can be used to easily roll over the blinds and pick up dust and cobwebs.
- Do not use abrasive or strong cleaners as they will damage the surface of your blinds.
- Soaking fabric vanes will cause them to lose their shape and dust repellent coating.
Ready to upgrade your windows?
Green T Garage windows can replace your windows with new EnergyStar rated windows that are made right here in the USA.
Call (630) 717-0007
Green T Windows is located in Aurora, IL and serves the Chicago suburban area including Naperville, Joliet, Elgin, Schaumburg, Libertyville and all cities in between. Call us today!